The foundation is the thickness of the layer of soil and rocks beneath the bottom of the structure. It is responsible for absorbing the load of the structure above it that is transmitted down to distribute the load into the foundation.
The foundation of a construction project is a structural component located below the load-bearing structure such as columns and walls. The foundation is responsible for absorbing the load from the construction project and transmitting it down to the foundation for distribution.
Therefore, it can be said that the foundation is the first and extremely important step in ensuring the construction and quality and lifespan of projects. Especially for critical projects, super-sized projects, careful attention, high technical expertise, and complexity are required in constructing the foundation to ensure that the project will have good quality, stable operation over a long period, and withstand heavy loads.
Let’s go over some important notes to keep in mind when constructing foundations in “mega-projects” in the article below.
- Geological survey of the project site
The geological survey of the construction site helps construction units to develop a plan for handling soil and water that is suitable and provides the most optimal, high-quality, cost-effective, and reasonable construction solution.
According to foundation experts, the geological survey work of the project has a very important meaning in providing essential information for:
- Assessing the suitability of the environment and location for the planned construction project in detail.
- Identifying changes in the geological environment due to human economic and construction activities, and the impact of these changes on the construction itself as well as neighboring constructions.
- Selecting and designing optimal, reasonable, and cost-saving foundation solutions for the project.
- Proposing appropriate and effective construction methods while predicting the difficulties and obstacles that may arise during construction.
- Accurately evaluating the safety level of existing constructions, designing the renovation and upgrading of existing constructions, and researching cases that have caused damage to constructions.
- Foundation design
Based on the survey results, we will come up with a foundation design that meets quality requirements such as: being suitable for the architecture, mechanical and electrical systems, structural body, construction conditions, and feasible for construction measures for the foundation/substructure.
In addition, the foundation design needs to ensure that all design steps are fully and correctly implemented, from material selection to mechanical calculation, structural analysis, etc.